Saturday, January 13, 2007

Reading The Bible In A Year

I have a Chronological Yearly Bible, pictured to the left, that I am reading right now. I read ahead and I think I'm on January 22nd. I missed reading some of Genesis because a friend of mine and I decided to do this, but she had already read up to Abraham so I need to go back and read what I've missed.

I got a map out so that I can see where Abraham was from and the path he took from Ur to Haran and then on to Caanan. What I thought was interesting is that Abraham is from Iraq. Also, they believe that the Garden Of Eden was in Iraq also.

What I also found interesting is that Terah, Abraham's father was going to go to Caanan but went as far as Haran and settled there. It wasn't until after Terah died that God called Abraham to move to Caanan. I wonder if it didn't make it easier for Abraham to move to Caanan since that was what his father intended to do when he decided to settle in Haran.

The Lord appeared to Abraham a second time while on his way to Caanan in Shechem. Abraham built an alter there to the Lord. He moved on and came to a mountain on the east of Bethel and made camp, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east and he built another alter to the Lord and called upon Him. I don't know how well you can see his journey on this map. If you would like, I can send the Url from where I got this map. As Abraham moved on towards the Negev, he found that there was a famine in the land and moved on to Egypt because it was a severe famine.
I'll stop there for now. I would love if any of you would like to interact and add comments, insights or ask questions. So please feel free to join in.
Bible verse
Now the Lord said to Abram, "Go forth from your country, and from your relatives, and from your father's house, to the land which I will show you; and I will make you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and so you shall be a blessing; and I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you, I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."
Application
There is a promise here that maybe some haven't considered. Those who bless Israel will be blessed and those who curse Israel will be cursed. Let's pray for Israel and especially pray for Jerusalem. (Psalm 122:6)

No comments: